Getting down and dirty with Google Analytics
In the previous article I’d written about how to start the implementation of an analytics program. In this article, I’ll write about rolling your sleeves and getting into the actual implementation.
Note that the Analytics product that I am using is Google Analytics. In your case it may the product you have chosen but the overall steps will remain similar.
The steps in setting up an analytics program are as follows:
- Sign up for an analytics program
- Identify the site you want to track
- Take this code and paste it into each and every page that you want to track.
- Log in to your reporting area and see the Analytics reports.
The above process is a simplification of the entire sequence of steps necessary, but it is also quite complete if the initial aim to just “get on with the tracking”.
Starting Analytics Program using Google Analytics
- Login to the Analytics site (http://www.google.com/analytics/) using your gmail id.
- In the screen, choose the option “Create New Account”
- Fill in the details like the URL of the site to track and the time zone that you’d like. The time zone details are needed for reporting like “Unique visitors in a day”.
- Enter your details in the next screen
- Once this is done, come back to Google Analytics. It will show a screen similar to the one below. If you click on the “Check Status” button, the site will start to try and build analytics reports. Please note that after hitting the “Check Status” button, leave it alone for a day or two for the analytics to start getting accumulated.
- Once the reporting starts to work, when you log into the analytics site, it will look like below. Click on view reports and stat analyzing!